Helen Guo ~ Pomona | Jackson Phillips ~ Azusa Pacific
Effie Jia ~ MIT | James Martinez ~ Cal State Fullerton
Previous Senior Scholarship Recipients:
Congratulations to our previous Scholar Athletes!
- Kristen Glavee- $1,000.00 (Azusa Pacific)
Carolyn Lee $500.00 (Stanford University)
- Daniel Sheets-$1,000.00 (St. Mary's College)
Tommy Jew- $500.00 (UCSB)
- Julia Fitzer - University of Arkansas
- Andrew Ferber - Carnegie Mellon University
- Ashley Carter - University of Maryland
- Justin Tran - UC Santa Barbara
- Lauren Nakaso - University of Pacific
- Tyler Bryson - San Diego State
Policy and Procedures
To provide a scholarship opportunity for up to four (4) graduating senior athletes. The amount awarded will be determined each calendar school year by the Athletic Fund Board and dependent on available funds.
- Athlete must be a graduating senior planning on attending college.
- Athlete must have been a team member in good standing for one year/season.
- Athlete must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in Junior and Senior years.
- No outstanding school debts.
- Recommendation from athlete’s coach (on provided forms).
- Membership in Athletic Fund/or contributor to Athletic Fund Club desired.
- Athlete must complete all application and essay requirements.
- The Athletic Director will verify the Athlete’s GPA.
- A Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applicant submissions blindly and select the winners. The selection committee members will be comprised of up to four individuals: the Athletic Director, one Athletic Fund Board Member, and one sponsoring representative per award. In the event there are more than two applicants with the same score, a Dougherty Valley High School administrator will make the final selection.
- No selection committee member shall have a senior student eligible for the award.
- Final selection will be based on weighted criteria: Essay & Application 130 points and Coaches recommendation 100 points.
- Winners will be announced at the Annual Senior Awards Ceremony.
- Two $1000 Scholarships and two $500 scholarship will be awarded to graduating seniors who most clearly demonstrate strength in the areas outlined in the essay requirements. While our intent is to award a scholarship to a male and female athlete, the scholarships will be awarded with consideration to qualifications and not gender.
- The awards will be sent directly to the college selected by each of the award recipients.